Caffélatex tyre sealant is quietly hiding in the wheels of the best cyclists in the World, who trust it to ride as puncture-free as possible. With a strong racing background in road and off-road cycling, Caffélatex is perfect for tubeless, tubular and inner-tube applications.
- Very fast puncture repairing action, ideal for performance-oriented cyclists (and for those who want even more, we created Vitamina CL additive)
- Adds very little weight to wheels, following the suggested quantities (see iCaffelatex app)
- Its foaming behavior makes it spread evenly inside tyres, covering the whole internal surface very efficiently
- Caffélatex doesn’t contain ammonia or other aggressive chemicals and is not toxic
- Relying on synthetic latex, Caffélatex doesn’t create allergy issues associated with natural latex
Very fast puncture repairing action
A secret blend of liquid synthetic polymers gives Caffélatex its “latex-like” behavior, becoming solid when exposed to fast evaporation, repairing holes in the process. We improved this with the addition of a precise percentage of microscopic (less than 2 microns, 0,002 mm) silicate particles, so that Caffélatex moves slowly through holes, allowing it more time to heal the puncture.
Puncture repair speed is especially beneficial with lightweight or thin-casing tyres, making Caffélatex ideal for performance-oriented cyclists, for both road and off-road cycling and for tubeless, tubular and inner-tube applications. Caffélatex repairs punctures up to 5 mm (off-road tubeless tyres) and 3 mm (road tubeless tyres).
For cyclists seeking the ultimate puncture protection, we created for Caffélatex the Vitamina CL additive.
Scan to get iCaffelatex app (iOS or Android)
In order to save weight on rotating masses, Caffélatex has a high mobility and a small quantity goes a long way in terms of coverage of the inner surface of the tyre. We suggest to use the quantities suggested by the iCaffelatex app or in the table here: while too much sealant is unnecessary weight, too little is utterly pointless as punctures will still occur and the (small) weight of sealant will serve no purpose. For example, we recommend 60 ml (approximately 2 oz) of Caffélatex for 29×2.10 (54-622) tubeless tyres; 30 ml (approximately 1 oz) for 700x25c (25-622) tubeless tyres.
Foaming behavior activated by wheel movement
When engineering Caffélatex and refining its formula, we discovered that providing it with a foaming behavior (passing from liquid to foam when agitated, so activated by wheel movement) was a big plus in terms of ability to spread inside the tyre cavity. When wheels are turning, centrifugal force drives standard liquid sealants against the outer circumference inside the tyre.
Caffélatex, turning into foam, tends to fill the entire internal cavity of the tyre, making Caffélatex available and effective even when the puncture happens on the sidewall. Caffélatex reverts to its liquid state after around 15 minutes of stillness.
Compared to other “latex-like” sealants, Caffélatex is a very stable and durable, although its lifespan is heavily influenced by tyre type.
Using the recommended quantity for tyre size/type, the expected Caffélatex lifespan is:
- Tubular (or Caffélatex inserted into latex/butyl inner tube): up to 1 year
- UST Tubeless tyre: 2-6 months
- Tubeless-ready tyre: 1-4 months
- Tube-type tyre: 1-3 months
In the impossibility of knowing the specific conditions (kind of wheel/tyre set-up, tyre sidewall thickness and porosities, external temperature and humidity, bicycle storage conditions…), we recommend checking Caffélatex every 2 months, to make sure it’s liquid and therefore ensures its puncture preventive action. When dry, Caffélatex-sealed wheels are still air-tight, but Caffélatex won’t actively repair punctures.
Not toxic, corrosive, allergenic
Caffélatex doesn’t contain ammonia or other aggressive chemicals: that characteristic makes it also the favorite sealant for cyclocross/tubular applications, creating no harm to the sensitive latex inner tubes.
WARNING: oxidation of aluminum rims can happen because of the water content of the sealant, occurring where metal surface is not painted/protected or covered by tubeless rim strip or tape.
As its formula is synthetic, Caffélatex doesn’t trigger allergic reactions in people who are allergic to products made with natural rubber latex.
Usage and storage
Usage: -20/+50°C (-4/+122°F)
Storage: -15/+30°C (+5/+86°F)
Caffélatex will last 2 years after the bottle is first open, as long as the bottle is closed properly and stored away from direct sunlight, and the storage temperature is within the range stated above.
To check if a bottle of Caffélatex is still good, even after a long time since first opening it:
- the liquid should have a homogeneous viscosity (no solid chunks or evident separation between lighter and denser liquid);
- 10-second test: wet thumb and index in liquid Caffélatex, press it between the two fingers for ten seconds then release: if it starts to create a solid layer, it’s still functioning properly.